Friday, March 12, 2010

I Wonder if Jesus Would of Drunk Tea on the Cross…oh Wait he was Dying


What is it about buying hot tea that makes you feel somewhat refined, or even eclectic? Why is it that being eclectic is a good thing? I think everyone is pretty normal and in their normalcy, tend to do things that are normal. The amount of men that play call of duty amazes me. The amount of women that care about what’s going on in the life of Snookie from the Jersey Shore is equally amazing to me. Are these the things that man and woman have been whittled down to after 6000 years of existence. To be fair I think that more men watch Jersey Shore than women play Call of Duty, but that doesn’t matter.

I sit in a coffee shop watching my very hot “Herbal Revive Tea by Twining of London” cool down. If you drink tea are you more interesting? If you go to coffee shops are you better than the person that goes to the gym to lift weights? It’s probably not a question of objective bettership but rather subjective bettership.

My friend Meghan told me that I seem distant today while we sat and spied on someone for a project that was due in one of her classes. I am distant today and I’m not sure why. Maybe society or the self-serving nature of human beings wears me out. This thing Christianity pushes me towards is loving people. This loving people specifically is pretty easy but very hard in a vague sense. I find myself hating a lot of people. This isn’t because I’m odd or have a sense about me that’s much different from the average human being (not that being different from average is bad, but probably rather a good thing) but rather I think on a deeper level of thinking than my average peer.

Let me try to explain my position in as clear a way as I possibly can. I think that people care about things. I think that the things people care about are very natural and even good. Dying mothers and fathers, friends being hurt by lovers, having to pay the town a fine just so they can get money to exist, are all things that people care about. Going to hear live bands and singing and dancing your heart out are all things that ring deep within us. The things that I’m talking about that don’t matter are dying mothers and fathers, friends being hurt by lovers and having to pay the town a fine just so they can exist…and of course dancing to live bands with loud music.

What I mean by this is that there are things that happen in life that we can’t separate ourselves from but Jesus is asking us to separate ourselves from. This is a dying to yourself. “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.” Who are you serving? God…or man…or your flesh? “But Jesus said, ‘Follow me and allow the dead to bury the dead.’” Love. War.

Things to think about:

When reading scripture make sure to put it in context.
What’s a business idea that you’ve had and would like to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment